On March 30, 2016 the second floor of the Jean Burns Building in Nanaimo where we rented a studio space burned down. In spite of the admirable effort by the Nanaimo Firefighters anything not destroyed by the fire was damaged from a collapsing roof structure and from water. The photographs illustrate the disaster that befell us. Years of work, equipment and materials in ruin. Our cozy workplace was turned into an open-air studio.
About a dozen other artists, artisans and businesses located in this building suffered the same fate. On the positive side, nobody was injured.
Fortunately we live in a passionate community. Several organizations started a fundraising campaign by collecting funds and materials to assist the victims of this fire in rebuilding and recuperating some of their losses. On behalf of Gerda and I, a huge THANK YOU to all the people involved in these campaigns.